Monday, February 18, 2013

Maedeup Monday!

This Maedeup Monday! I'm offering some of the jewelry featured in my maedeup book "Elegant Knotted Jewelry."  I've put several pieces up on Ebay.  The book was written and each piece of jewelry made while we were living in South Korea.  I have so many, many memories of how that book came together and this is your chance to get a little piece of Korea.
 
We went to a Russian restaurant Saturday night for my best friend's Mom's birthday.  It's called Moscow on the Hill in St. Paul and I was a little worried about what kind of food I would find.  I'm not what you call an adventurous eater.  But the minute Rocketman and I walked in the front door, we fell in love with the ambiance and sounds of an accordion playing.
 
We started with the Appetite Tasting Platter which had all sorts of things and flavors I had never tasted before.  It was delicious.  For my entree, I ordered Siberian Pelmeni which was meat dumplings served with sour cream and vinegar.  I didn't pour any vinegar on the dumplings because they were so perfectly delicious without it.  But of course, the sour cream sent the taste over the top.
 
Rocketman ordered Babushka Stew which had melt-in-your-mouth pork and a side of mashed potatoes.  He would have moaned through the entire meal if we were not in public. Dessert was plates of their "White Russian" Tiramisu, Dark Chocolate Mousse and Napoleon. I was in a food induced coma by the end of the night.
 
We were serenaded my the accordion player and with a tip, you could request a song.  The staff even sang Happy Birthday to the birthday girl in Russian and it was such a beautiful song, I want to use it instead of our version.  I don't remember the last time we had such a great time out with dear friends.
It made me miss Korea so much more because that was a regular event over there. 
 
I definitely want to bring my parents to Moscow on the Hill next time they come up to visit.  Rocketman agreed.  Who would have thought I would LOVE Russia food!
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. having spent 2 months travelling through Siberia, I have to say the food in that restaurant is NOT representative of real Russian food. The pelmeni in Siberia were grissle filled lumpy pastry swimming in a pool of grease! After 2 months of unappetising food, we spent a week in Mongolia eating mutton floating in grease. I have never been so pleased to see China in my life!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...