Wednesday, September 21, 2011

When Rocketman is Gone, Becky Goes Shopping!

 Tuesday came with the promise of a gorgeous day and no classes.  I had a few things on my list for Dongdaemum so off I went.  The cooler weather made shopping so much more enjoyable.  I hit the usual Dongdaemum Shopping Center and bought things on my list and even more that were not on my list. 
 I took a stroll to all the huge shopping center only to find them all closed except for one.  They were having what we call in the States, sidewalk sales.
 But what differs from the States is that in the States, the stores are still open and you can bypass the shopping outdoors and shop inside.  Not so in South Korea or at least this day.  All the stores blocked by tables and when I did glance in, the lights were not on.
 I wasn't the only one confused.  I saw many a Korean woman standing in front of an entrance with a puzzled look on their face.
 I don't know if this is the norm but I didn't like it at all.  I wanted to go inside and shop.  Rocketman will be happy though because less shopping means less spending.
                  Here's what I did manage to get.  I just think these buttons are too cute.
 I also have a new favorite shop.  The camera reminded me of Rocketman and the cat charms I am going to make earrings out of.
 I went to my favorite satin guy.  He was sleeping and no amount of clearing my throat or saying, "excuse me" worked.  But he popped right up when I said, "agosshi."
                                                         I wasn't looking for a bracelet.
                          But apparently it was looking for me.  Handmade and gorgeous.
         One of the shopping centers was open and I was looking for a new purse.  I like the color.
 Today I was sitting at the kitchen table working when I smelled smoke.  I thought I was losing my mind and tried to ignore it.  The window was wide open and I figured it was coming from somewhere outside.  But it got worse like something was on fire and it smelled horrible. 

I looked towards the window and saw our leather couch smoking.  I freaked out and ran to the couch.  The couch was definitely smoking and I ran to the sink to get a glass of water which I threw onto the couch.  It turns out that I had been using my magnifying light the night before and with the bright sunlight, it started a small fire.  No kidding, it really did.
Here's the aftermath.  It's about the size of a cigarette burn.  I think the thing that freaked me out the most was what if this had happened while I was at chilbo.  Who knows what would have happened.  The window being open had kept the smoke alarms from going off.  But I can tell you the apartment still stinks. I had never smelled burning leather before and I sure don't want to smell that again.  Yuck!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, your poor couch! That is scary--I'm glad you were there!

    I love the cats!

    (It's "dongdaemun." Mun means gate/door. I don't know what mum means.)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...