Thursday, June 30, 2011

Chilbo (Korean Enameling) Class

 I got to spend chilbo class this week with a friend.  I met her when I worked with Nan (my teacher) at a festival.  She has been stopping by regularly when I was at chilbo to say "hi".  Now she is taking the class and creating some fantastic chilbo. 

Here is a close-up of what she was working on.  She knows a little more English than Nan so she tries to be our interpreter.  She always makes sure that I have coppee (coffee).

I was working hard on my charms.  This week I did the front side.  I had soooo many to do.
                                                    These are pictures of the charms before firing.




                                  Nan wanted me to get a picture of the two of them.
Here are the charms after firing.  I am going back on Saturday to work on the lettering.  She also wants me there on Monday but I had changed my hanji class to Monday afternoons because of the miniature classes so I'll need to reschedule with Nan. 
At a local shop, I found this guy sitting on a toilet.  He bobs his head up and down when there is light in the room.  Rocketman took him to work and he said he bops like crazy.  He loved it.  It's still raining here and we are off to Seoul tomorrow.  Rocketman has a final fitting for his suit so he took the day off.  Next week he goes to Taiwan and the following week he is back in the States.  I'm not going along, the plane ride is too much since we only just got back from our visit.  Poor guy.

4 comments:

  1. What a great blog! I'm so glad I came across it. I'm from Texas and I live in Suwon with my husband (Korean) and daughter. I would love to take an enameling class sometime. Where did you find it? Thanks, and I look forward to reading more! -Casey

    ReplyDelete
  2. So jealous of all your classes! But love reading about them...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Casey, she's near Paldulmum on a side street. Let me know if you specific directions. I'm going to make a video on how to get to her place and hanji.

    Sarah, that's why I taking soooo many. Not sure how long we will be here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know how to get down there. If you know any landmarks/shops near the side street that would be great. I'll try to find it some time when the weather's not so crummy. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...