Thursday, May 12, 2011

Chilbo (Korean Enameling)

 This week chilbo was all about maewha which is plum blossoms in Korean.  I also told Nan I want to make a chilbo bracelet somewhat like my chilbo name ring except I want chilbo charms in Korean characters.  Words like "love," "hope," "faith," you get it.  She understood right away and I think we will start next week on it.
This is what Nan worked on and she gave it to me as a gift.  She wanted me to go out eating and drinking with her.  I told her okay but then she asked me if I liked sundae which is pig instestines.  That is one of the few things I will not eat in South Korea or even try.  I thought she would decide on another place but she pointed the the calendar and next Wednesday at 8 pm.  I'm not sure why we couldn't go somewhere else but when in Korea...  So next week, Rocketman and I are meeting Nan at her place and going out to dinner and drinks.

I also had an adventurous bus ride home.  I was waiting for the bus after chilbo, holding my IPod and listening to it.  The bus came and ajummas from all over surrounded me. I don't know where they came from because I swear I didn't see more than two or three before the bus arrived.  There was shoving to get on the bus and I was pushed back.  Then all of the sudden an ajumma shoved herself in front of me and her backpack somehow caught my IPod and ripped it from my hands. 

I looked up and saw it tangled on her backpack and I tried to untangle it yelling, "MY IPOD! MY IPOD!"  She took her first step onto the bus when a drunk ajosshi who must have seen everything whacked her hard on the back.  She stopped and looked at me.  I had the deer in the headlights look thinking she thought I hit her but the ajosshi told her about my IPod.

So we stood on the steps of the bus, untangling the IPod and it finally came free.  I found a seat at the back of the bus and the ajosshi who helped me sat across from me.  As the bus took off for the next stop, the ajoshhi tried to hit the button that lets the bus driver know you want to get off at the next stop.  He kept missing it.  It was hilarious and sad at the same time.  He tried several times missing by inches and finally gave up. He did end up getting off at the next stop.

3 comments:

  1. I've never had sundae either. Just couldn't bring myself to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, if you do make a bracelet like that, maybe you could make several and sell them on etsy. I'd buy one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky... it's so dangerous listening to an ipod out in public... I've had some really strange things happen to me every time I did it! Now I won't do it EVER....sitting in the dentist chair... that's IT or at a restaurant...NEVER on foot!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...