Thursday, September 23, 2010

Promotion!

Rocketman was given a promotion last month. It was something that he had worked very hard for but with the tough times in the economy, it didn't look like it would ever be. He's now officially a T5. I'm not really sure what that means but his title is different and he's suppose to get his own office. The only problem is that there are no offices available right now so he is on a wait list. He was a little bummed about the office situation but I told him that just being recognized for all your hard work is pretty wonderful in itself. And besides, he's in Asia a lot anyway.

Tradition calls for you to bring in donuts or bagels for promotions. Rocketman has been working at this company for 30 years and it's always been that way. But you know I don't always like to go with tradition so I got it into my head that I would make an assortment of our favorite treats. Now you know that I'm not known for being the best cook but I have made these recipes zillions of times so I was very confident and excited to do this.

That is until he told me that it would have feed over 100 people. That set me back a little trying to decide how many different kinds of treats to make and figuring how much people would eat. Did I ever tell you that I'm bad at math too. But I figured if it's chocolate and sugar, it would all go.

So I settled on the following and I doubled the recipes:


Fantasy fudge and not the one on the jar of the Marshmallow Fluff. They changed the recipe but I found the old one online.

These are my favorite cookies and also my daughter's. They are called Oatmeal Rounds and you can find the recipe in your Better Homes and Garden Cookbook. Although mine never are round but they still are delicious.

Next was a new recipe from the Internet. I had made these peanut butter cup cookies once before and everyone had loved them especially Rocketman. He told me to never make them again meaning that "I can't stop eating them."
I forgot to take a picture of the Special K Bars, another longtime family favorite. The hardest part about these bar is cutting them. It wears me out and I have to take a rest. Here is that recipe:
Special K Bars
6 cups Special K cereal
1 cup Karo white syrup
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups peanut butter
1/2 package of butterscotch chips
1/2 package of chocolate chips or 1 small bag
Place Special K in large bowl. Set aside. Bring syrup and sugar to a full boil; remove from heat and add peanut butter. Mix well and pour over Special K. Mix together and pat out into a small
jelly roll pan (9" x 13" x 1/2"). Cover the mixture with a sheet of wax paper to help even out. Use a rolling pin to make even.
Melt butterscotch chips and chocolate chips in a double boiler. When melted, spread over mixture. Put into refrigerator to harden. To cut, remove from refrigerator and let it get to room temperature.
I also made my Salted Nut Rolls. These are time intensive but taste just like the real thing and is one of Rocketman's favorites.

Salted Nut Rolls

1 7 oz. jar of marshmallow creme
17 ounces caramels ( I use Kraft)
1 pound salted peanuts, chopped
2 ¼ cups powdered sugar
3 Tablespoons water

Knead marshmallow creme and powdered sugar together until smooth and pliable. Shape into small fingers. Place on wax paper on a cookie sheet and freeze. Melt caramels with the water until smooth. Dip frozen marshmallow fingers into caramel and roll into chopped peanuts using a fork. Wrap in saran wrap individually and refrigerate.

As you can see I was very busy for a few days and forgot to take pictures of everything. I had everything done and wrapped up when Rocketman said, "Didn't I tell you that I need to put treats in THREE different areas." WHAT!!! So I ran out to the Dollar Store to get serving trays and divided everything evenly into three's. He felt pretty bad for not telling me about that. But it all turned out great in the end.

He brought everything to work the next day and set it up in the three different areas. He said everyone was so surprised to have treats instead of donuts. It went over really well and he even heard that one of the big wigs said that he should promote Curt more often. But one of the biggest compliments to me was when several co-workers asked for recipes. I loved that but even more than that I loved the appreciation in Rocketman's eyes.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! That is awesome! And the treats look wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome news! Congrats to the Rocketman. Now, YOU! Sit! Take a load off! That was a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...