Sunday, August 22, 2010

Why You Don't Want to Mow the Grass When It's Wet


I thought I was being terribly clever this morning. I woke up and decided to mow the grass this morning before those 90's arrived. The grass was really long and I didn't want it to go another day and besides it's suppose to be in the 90's tomorrow too. I also thought it would be nice to bag the grass so I got out the new paper bags that we are allowed to use for yard waste. No more black plastic bags.
I started at about 8:30am and I was surprised at how long the grass was. It had only been a few days since I had mowed but it is summer. The grass catcher on the mower quickly filled and I went to dump the grass into the paper bag. The grass catcher is larger than the paper bag and when I turned it to dump it into the paper bag, grass went everywhere with very little getting the bag.
I went back to mowing thinking I just have to adjust how I empty the grass catcher and so the next time which was only 3 or 4 lengths of the lawn, I tipped the grass catcher gently into the bag and nothing came out. The grass was so damp (or should I say wet) that it wouldn't move unless the grass catcher was upside down and I was shaking it. So again, grass all over the place.
Enough of that and I put the plug back into the mower and mowed without catching the grass. It was in the 80's and humid and I was sweating like crazy. The grass was really wet and I should have waited but it's hard for me to mow when it's in the 90's. I get dizzy and have to take a lot of breaks for water.
I got most of the lawn done and only on the last couple rows where the grass was for some reason unusually long did the mower sputter. I finished the lawn and swept up all the mess I had made. I came into the house and went straight for the sink for a glass of water. It's when I finished the glass that I looked down and saw my shoes which you can see in the above photo.
That is also when I looked around my kitchen to see grass clippings all over the place. I removed my shoes and threw them on the deck. I swept up all the grass that I had brought into the house and noticed that even though the grass was gone, there were green stains on my floor. So even though I wasn't going to wash the floors this week, that's what I'm looking forward to.
Now I do understand when Rocketman says to wait until the grass in completely dry before you mow. Sometimes I don't listen to him and need to learn on my own. Time to hit Zappos for a new pair of tennis shoes, these will be used for only mowing the lawn.

1 comment:

  1. Just bookmarking this for perpetuity:

    "Now I do understand when Rocketman says to wait until the grass in completely dry before you mow. Sometimes I don't listen to him and need to learn on my own."

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...